Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tuning IN...





So....I got reviewed on how I've been doing at my new job today and it went FANTASTIC! I will be on payroll shortly after the first of the new year. Pretty excited! I feel like I caught on pretty quick and the owners have grown to really like me and the feeling is reciprocated. I love working for small businesses....you know, the so-called "mom and pop" shops. Whether it be retail, restaurant or coffee shop. It's so much more fun and you feel like you're part of a family rather than being a number. That and they are a really nice couple in their late 20's so they're pretty easy to relate to as well.
I was lucky enough to stumble across the opportunity after only 5 or so days of being here on the island. Dave(the famous Mr. Ellmann) actually told us about the couple because he had lived with them his first year here in HI. Not 2 days later I was on craiglist just scoping the scene and saw a listing that they were hiring for barrista.....can you say FATE? So the following day I went down and talked with them for a bit, told them about myself and my experience with coffee, kitchen, and service industry and then skeedaddled on back to the condo. Best part...(and this is probably the 3rd time it's happened in my life) I got a call back within the hour to come down that afternoon for an interview.....IN LIKE FLINN!
Went back down and discussed all the usual interview stuff and so I've been on a trial run for the last 2 weeks...(yes it's paid!). Well today the female owner told me that I've caught on much faster than people she's trained in the past year(and believe me she's a completely up-in-your-grill, holy shit back off a little my space bubble is shrinking type of trainer...but I noticed she wasn't all up in my grill the last week) and she'd love to have me there as long as I'm here on Maui. SO COOL. Feelin like family already. I can honestly say I was terrified of having to work some corporate "you're just a number" job when we moved here because there are DOZENS of them here. Starbucks...OMG throw me off of a building. Mc Donalds...rather slit my wrists or get eaten by a barracuda.
I'd rather live on the streets than work for a corporation. So, I currently am the only 1 of us four with a "job" and I feel like I can breathe a little easier now. I still can't believe I scored a non-corporate job though, really makes me feel like the universe knows I couldn't really survive and stay sane in that sort of atmosphere so it's making sure I don't have to....lol. Or I just got lucky.
Either way, I'm doing good here so nobody needs to worry for my safety or well-being. I'm alive, fed, sheltered, loved, and HAPPY! I've found my place on the island and now all I need is for my damn hula hoop to come in the mail...lol. Then life here will be simply blissful. That and a camping trip to Hana is in order....may have to wait a month or two. Well I hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving! Aloha for now! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment